Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ian's first week at daycare


Day 1 - Orientation - I went with him for the morning so he could get introduced to his teachers and classroom. I had gone through all this with Kiera, so nothing new for me. He had a few jealous moments when he saw other kids in his class sitting on my lap as I helped them get dressed to go outside for playtime and some teary moments when we were outside because he kept shaking off his gloves and then would get upset that his hands were getting cold and wet from the snow. But all in all, Ian had a great time with all the new toys and books in the room. We left after lunch and he immediately fell asleep on the way home.




Day 2 - First full day by himself - As soon as I took his jacket off, he was reaching for the doorknob and walked right into his classrooom. Completely ignored me while I tried to say bye. Teacher said he had to be rocked to sleep at nap time (we're making him go cold turkey from his pacifier during the day) and occassionally a few tears, but a good day for the most part.




Day 3 - As soon as I took his jacket off, he began to realize I was not going into the room with him and so began crying, working up to a wail as I handed him off to the teacher. Have I ever mentioned that he is a bit of a PITA (pain in the a**) when he doesn't get his way? Teachers said he eventually settled down, still needed to be rocked to sleep and a few tears throughout the day, but was adjusting.




Day 4 - He began crying as soon as we entered the building and was arching his back in the teacher's arms and pointing to the door, as I made my break. Good news - he went to sleep without a hitch at nap time (I broke down and left a pacifier at his school). Teachers say he is beginning to interact more and eating more at lunch as well.




Day 5 - End of the week - Still cries when I hand him off to the teacher, but they say he stops within a minute after I am out of sight. He is also playing more and giving them smiles. Of course, now he'll have to get used to all of this again after the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing the right thing about keeping the same goodbye routine everyday. Letting him have the pacifier for now is a good thing to do because he needs something to soothe himself right now. Also, going to daycare is a major change. You can keep some things constant while he undergoes this major change, and letting him have his pacifier a little bit longer won't hurt. You can wean him of it later and help him find another way to soothe himself.
    This story also reminded me of the how Melanie began her preschool days at age 4. I had to hand a screaming and clinging child to her teacher everyday who had to hold her tight to prevent her from running after me. My being a teacher of young children surely helped me go about my day without worrying about her. This went on for at least a week and a half. Eventually it got better.

    ReplyDelete